Heavy Duty Vehicles
Gasoline-powered heavy-duty vehicles that are model year 1982 or newer are tested with the idle test rather than the I/M 240 test. They must be inspected at an I/M 240 testing station. Inspection fee is $25.
The following Colorado motor vehicles are exempt from emissions inspections:
- Newly-manufactured vehicles, for the first seven (7) model years, or until a change of ownership
- Pre -1975 collector-plated vehicles
- Pre-1942 horseless carriage-plated vehicles
- Vehicles with a two-stroke engine manufactured prior to 1980
- Farm-plated vehicles
- Electric powered vehicles
** Hybrid electric vehicles, such as the Toyota Prius and Honda Insight, and other alternatively powered vehicles that are eight (8) years and older require an On-Board Diagnostics (OBD) test beginning Jan. 2, 2015.
For further information on exemptions, call your county motor vehicle office, or the Colorado Division of Motor Vehicles' Emissions Program Office at 303-205-5603.