About the Test: Exemptions & Exceptions
A few vehicles are exempt from emissions testing, and a small group of 1982 and newer passenger vehicles is tested with the two-speed idle test instead of with the I/M 240 test.
Gray Market and Custom Vehicles
- Gray Market Vehicles
Non-U.S.-certified vehicles, sometimes referred to as "gray market" vehicles are those manufactured for sale and use in other countries. These vehicles may or may not come equipped with all of the emissions control components required on all U.S. vehicles.
In order to pass the Denver-area emissions test, these vehicles must be properly retrofitted, or the owner must present state-approved paperwork for an exemption. Such vehicles must be evaluated at an emissions technical center operated by the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE). For information or an appointment, call 303-744-2442 (and press 3). Paperwork from this evaluation (state form DR 2365) must be presented to the emissions testing center in order to obtain an emissions test. Save this evaluation paperwork as it must be presented at all future emissions tests on the vehicle.
Custom and Similar Vehicles
- Vehicles in this category may include reconstructed, rebuilt or street rod cars. For further information, contact your county motor vehicle registration office, or the Emissions Program Office at the Colorado Division of Motor Vehicles at 303-205-5603. Most of these vehicles are tested with the idle test rather than the I/M 240 test.
In general, these vehicles that have Colorado-assigned identification numbers in lieu of a Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), and all such vehicles must be evaluated at an emissions technical center operated by the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment. Paperwork from this evaluation must be presented to the emissions testing center in order to obtain an emissions test. Save this evaluation paperwork as it must be presented at all future emissions tests on the vehicle.
** Homemade "kit" cars are exempt from emissions testing per Colorado HB06-1176.
The following Colorado motor vehicles are exempt from emissions testing:
- Newly-manufactured vehicles, for the first 4 model years, or until a change of ownership (click here for requirements regarding vehicles being brought into the program area from another state or from another part of Colorado); Pre -1976 collector-plated vehicles
- Pre-1943 horseless carriage-plated vehicles
- Vehicles with a two-stroke engine manufactured prior to 1980
- Farm-plated vehicles
- Electric powered vehicles
** Hybrid electric vehicles, such as the Toyota Prius and Honda Insight do not currently require emissions inspections.
For further information on exemptions, call your county motor vehicle office, or the Colorado Division of Motor Vehicles' Emissions Program Office at 303-205-5603. Also see information regarding vehicles manufactured outside the U.S. and kit cars